Finally the truth about Bubble Milk Tea

From the time I have stepped into Taiwan, whatever Bubble Milk Tea (pronounced Chunchu Naitha) I have consumed has been free. Yes, not a single penny spent. I know Vicky is probably burning if he happens to read this. And its the most expensive tea in the tea shops. They have tea shops all over Taiwan by the way. Its not the you can sit and kill hours kind of place, more like takeaway counters. So I have consumed liters of this tea.


Like I said in my earlier post, the Taiwanese love their bubble milk tea. But you offer it to any girl and you get "No! No! Too fatty". The tea has pieces of a black chewy substance , refer to image below. Vikas and me contemplated on what these yummy things were. 


Maybe sabudana,or maybe some exotic sea-thing, for all you know it could have been fish eggs. We asked people, we chewed and thought and chewed some more. Finally ladies and gentlemen I present to you the secret ingredient the "bubble/pearls" are made of and its potato starch! Yes, you read right. They love their potato starch and use it for a lot of meat dishes, wherein the meat is enveloped in a ball of potato starch and then fried and dumped in some exotic sauce. Supposed to be pretty delicious and that is the kind of stuff I will be missing out on. My school director has a theory about my queer eating habit, according to him I don't eat anything with legs! Interesting but partly true, because I tasted shrimp. And I am on a eat anything that you find in the sea spree right now. 

3 Response to "Finally the truth about Bubble Milk Tea"

  1. techster says:
    May 18, 2010 at 1:38 AM

    EEYUK!!!

  2. Amropali says:
    May 20, 2010 at 7:03 PM

    FYI, the potato is a beautiful shade of purple and its called Tora.

  3. tumblingwords says:
    May 24, 2010 at 7:18 AM

    Btw Techster, we thought bubble tea was Tapioca for a long while but its not. And its so so addictive!

Post a Comment